Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Wigtown Book Festival

It’s time I put together my talk for the Wigtown Book Festival next week. I was excited to read that the festival programmer Adrian Turpin selected my book/talk for the first of two “Festival Director’s Cuts”. He says:
Everyone loves pandas. But until 150 years ago they were unknown outside China. Now they've become diplomatic pawns. Henry Nicholls' black-and-white tale should be read all over.
I will be talking about The Way of the Panda (and hopefully signing a copy or two) at the County Halls in Wigtown at 3pm on 30 September. I think you can buy a ticket here.

As one friend put it, County Halls this year, Carnegie Hall next.

2 comments:

  1. Just received a copy of "The Way of the Panda" and the first thing I looked up was Memphis Zoo as it is the panda zoo I visit most often. On page 215 you wrote:

    "In 2003, Le-Le and Ya-Ya travelled from the Chengdu Base to Memphis Zoo under a similar agreement. Much to the delight of the zoo-going public, all of these couples have now reproduced."


    OK, technically, Ya Ya has had cubs in utero, but they have been reabsorbed. Can that really be considered reproduction? And how is that delightful to the public when no cubs have been born?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for picking me up on this up Esther. I'll correct this as soon as is possible. I hope you can overlook this mistake and enjoy the rest of the book.

    ReplyDelete